Aurora BayCare Urological Surgeons offers treatment and procedures for men with erectile dysfunction.
What is erectile dysfunction?
Men with erectile dysfunction, or ED, have trouble getting or keeping an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. It is a common type of sexual dysfunction for men.
How is erectile dysfunction diagnosed?
Erectile dysfunction is diagnosed through a physical exam and a series of tests. Treatment may include surgery, ED medication or changes in lifestyle or medication prescribed for other health issues.
Discussing erectile dysfunction can be embarrassing or uncomfortable for men. We take care to be mindful of our patients’ feelings and their need for comfort and privacy throughout treatment.
How is erectile dysfunction treated?
Treatment options for erectile dysfunction include:
- Vacuum pumps
- Injection therapy
- Surgery as a last option, typically implanting a device, or prostheses, to make the penis erect.
Becoming more physically active, eating a healthy diet, losing weight, drinking alcohol in moderation or stopping smoking also may reduce erectile dysfunction’s effects.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
- Erectile dysfunction can be caused by physical, psychological or emotional issues, or by a wide range of diseases or disorders.
- Physical causes of erectile dysfunction may include damage to nerves, arteries, smooth muscles and fibrous tissues in the penis.
- Diseases or disorders causing ED may include high blood pressure, diabetes, atherosclerosis, heart and blood vessel disease, chronic kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, bladder cancer surgery, Peyronie’s disease (scar tissue in the penis), injury from prostate cancer surgery or radiation treatment and injury to the penis, spinal cord, prostate, bladder or pelvis.
- Psychological or emotional issues causing erectile dysfunction may include anxiety, depression, fear of sexual failure, guilt, low self-esteem and stress.
Men who have experienced erectile dysfunction for more than several weeks or a few months should seek medical care. For men with other health issues, such as heart disease or diabetes, worsening erectile dysfunction may indicate that their other issues require medical attention.
What is Peyronie’s disease?
Peyronie’s disease is a condition in which scar tissue forms under the skin of the penis. This scar tissue also is called plaque. As it builds up, the plaque pulls on the surrounding tissue. This causes the penis to curve or bend, most often during an erection. Curves in the penis can make erections painful. Curves in the penis also can make sexual intercourse painful, difficult or impossible.
Peyronie’s disease is caused by an injury to the penis or by an autoimmune disease. The plaque is benign. It is not cancerous or a tumor.
Peyronie’s disease is diagnosed based on a man’s medical and family history and a physical examination. Treatment options include injections, medication or surgery.