Neuropsychologists specialized in the care of children
The team of BayCare Clinic neuropsychologists includes doctors who specialize in the care of children. Pediatric neuropsychology focuses on the connection between learning and behavior in relation to a child's brain. These doctors are uniquely equipped to work with children throughout the developmental life-span.
Our pediatric neuropsychologist utilizes a variety of testing tools, including paper and pencil, hands-on activities, question and answer, and sometimes the computer, to assess a child's brain functioning, including:
- Language skills
- Learning skills
- Attention skills
- Visual/spatial skills
- Sensorimotor functioning
- Personality/emotional functioning
- Basic achievement skills including math and reading
- Executive skills including planning, organizing information, flexibility, and inhibition
Input from family members is also important in understanding a child's history. In addition, as children change and develop rapidly, evaluation over time is sometimes necessary in order to adjust treatment and support to meet a child's changing needs.
What We Evaluate For
Our pediatric neuropsychologist evaluates and assesses to detect the following:
- The effects of developmental, neurological, and medical problems
- Epilepsy and other seizures
- Concussion and other head trauma
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Learning disability
- Genetic disorders
A Holistic Approach
Testing and evaluation provides a unique vantage point for gaining an understanding of a child's behavior and learning at home, school, and in the community. This information can be useful in guiding teachers, therapists, and parents to better help a child achieve his/her potential.
A Team Approach
At BayCare Clinic, our pediatric neuropsychologist is part of a multi-disciplinary team specializing in the health care needs of children, the collective skills of which are brought to bear in working with children and their families.