Experts in evaluating adult behavior and brain function
Adult neuropsychology is a sub-specialty of neuropsychology and focuses on the connection between adult behavior and brain function.
The multi-disciplinary neuropsychology team at BayCare Clinic includes neuropsychologists and other physicians who specialize in brain function — or the neuropsychological health — of adults.
Our neuropsychologists utilize a variety of testing tools to assess brain function after a brain trauma, following brain surgery, or to understand the neurological origins of cognitive, behavioral and/or emotional changes in the adult brain. Family input is also important in the diagnostic process. Testing is critical to the ongoing management of adult health care, including:
- Identifying subtle indicators leading to early detection and treatment of progressive conditions
- Establishing a baseline for future assessments
- Determining how well the brain is functioning as it performs certain tasks
- Identifying recovery time, progress, and ability to return to normal activities
- Identifying coping strategies for caregivers
- Determining capacity for patient to consent to treatment or to attend to personal affairs
Adult neuropsychologists evaluate brain function related to the following:
- Dementia (including Alzheimer's syndrome)
- Brain injury due to stroke or other trauma
- Progressive neurological conditions such as Lou Gehrig's or Parkinson's disease
- Alcohol and/or other drug use/abuse
- Systemic issues such as heart disease or diabetes
A Holistic Approach
Our adult neuropsychologists at BayCare Clinic will work to develop a program of treatment and support with a patient's network of caregivers — including the referring physician, family members, and possibly others — to provide ongoing care to manage and maintain quality of life over the life-span.
A Team Approach
At BayCare Clinic, our adult neuropsychologists are part of a multi-disciplinary team specializing in the health care needs of adults. This team approach translates to seamless care for individuals and their families.